This thesis aims to present the history of the Slovenian school in Klagenfurt. The first demands regarding the establishment date back to 1947. With the signing of the Austrian State Treaty and its Article 7 provided the legal basis for the schools establishment in 1957. Classes at the Slovenian school started in the school year of 1957/58 with 101 students. Due to the lack of a separate school building, the school was housed in the premises of the school Lerchenfelderstraße in Klagenfurt. This meant that classes could take place until the establishment of their own school building in 1975, for 18 years exclusively in the afternoon. In addition to the lack of space, the school faced problems such as the lack of appropriate textbooks or the prevailing teacher shortage in the early years. The term "Slovene Gymnasium" was enforced against the will of the minority group representatives of German national organizations in Carinthia, who did not believe in the viability of the school. However, the school has developed extremely positively in terms of the registration numbers of students and over time, a change in the social structure of the students has developed. The school itself has undergone a transformation from a pure ethnic group facility towards an open, regional and national institution. In addition, the perspective of the German-speaking majority population in the school has changed. Especially the political situation in Slovenia and the EU-accession of Slovenia has led to an appreciation of the Slovenian language and subsequently to an increasing number of German speaking parents registering their children at the school.