The judiciary and the administration have not always been controlled by independent authorities. This paper describes the development process that ultimately led to the separation of powers. In the revolutionary year 1848, the jurisdiction was first separated in all instances from the administration.In this way the judiciary was definitively subject to state sovereignty and the often quite intricate relations between the courts and their individual bodies among each other were simplified. At the lowest level, district courts were implemented.In 1854, the jurisdiction and administration at the lowest level were merged again and run by mixed district offices until 1867 in Carniola and until 1868 in Carinthia and the Austrian Littoral. Only in the cities of Klagenfurt, Ljubljana, Nove Mesto, Gorizia, Trieste and Rovigno urban delegated district courts were established, which were solely responsible for legal issues.In the years 1867/68 by the implementation of the Cisleithanian constitution of December 1867 the system of 1848/49 was reintroduced and thus the separation between state jurisdiction and administration was finally accomplished on all levels of the organization.The tabular representation of district commissions and court locations shows when they were established, activated, and closed down and to what extent the local competence of each authority has changed over time. In Carinthia there are 11 district courts today. Their locations are Klagenfurt, Villach, Hermagor, Ferlach, Sankt Veit an der Glan, Spittal an der Drau, Bleiburg, Eisenkappel, Völkermarkt, Wolfsberg und Feldkirchen.The locations of the district commissions are Feldkirchen, Hermagor, Klagenfurt Land, Spittal, St. Veit an der Glan , Villach Land, Völkermarkt and Wolfsberg. There are also the two statutory towns Klagenfurt and Villach.