The castle ?Klingenstein? ? that is its modern name ? lies at the end of a ridge west of the village Salla in the district Voitsberg. Salla was also the former name of the castle. Literary sources tell us only little about the castle in the Early Modern Ages. The gun loops, which were already designed for firearms, seem to prove, that the castle couldn?t be built before the year 1420. Probably the most important role of the castle was to control the local route between western-/southern Styria and the upper valley of the Mur. Literary sources seem to show, that the castle was abandoned in the first half of the 17th century.There are still some unsolved problems concerning the architectural structures of the castle. On the surface, only e few remains of the castle are preserved and there is still a need for more archaeological investigations. The castle is divided in an outer bailey and a small central part. The outer bailey seems to consist of some buildings ? most probably towers ? connected by walls along the ridge. In the central part of the castle, where parts were recently rebuilt, lies the three-cornered keep connected with a walled area. In this walled area the hall was placed amongst other things.Up to now three short excavations in the castle took place, including investigations of a building of the outer bailey and of some parts in central area. Most of the findings, mainly ceramics, are dating into the 15th and 16th century. From an archaeological point of view there is evidence to suggest an age determination of the castle after 1420. During the excavations there were no evidences of a former castle. The few finds dating to modern times could not prove a regular inhabitation of the castle after the 16th century. There are some hints that the castle was destroyed by fire, but studying the documentation of the excavations no clear evidence was found.