The parish church St. Stefan ob Stainz This diploma thesis is dedicated to the parish church, St. Stefan ob Stainz, which is one of the oldest in the deanery Deutschlandsberg. The thesis covers the history of the parish, the individual phases of construction, as well as a description of the churchs decor. The parish was first mentioned in a document, in 1218, when the bishopric Seckau was founded. The time of origin of the church cannot be determined exactly, but it might go back to the 12th century. On the one hand, St. Stefan may have been founded by the church, following an order from Salzburg. On the other, it might also be a church owned by a noble family, in this case the House of the Lemsitzer, who resided in the area. An important historical fact is the churchs dependence on the Augustinian monastery Stainz, which it was a part of from 1245 to 1785, until revoked by Josef II. In the parish church St. Stefan, traces from various styles can be found. The walls of the nave date from the Romanesque period; the enlargement of the chancel (around 1400), the arching of the nave and the erection of the tower (end of 15th / beginning of 16th century) belong to the Gothic period. A tombstone and a baptismal font, which are among the oldest pieces of the church, also date from this time period. The partly figurative arch bricks in the nave vault as well as the structure for keeping the tabernacle in the renaissance style, both considered to be the special features of the church, also date back to the Gothic period. Three figures from Johann Piringers workshop have been preserved from the baroque style. The largest part of the decor dates to the 19th century; the figures in the sanctuary were created by Jakob Gschiel. The peoples altar and ambo (2003) as well as a coloured glass window (2009) behind the high altar are among the latest pieces in the parish church, St. Stefan ob Stainz.