The goals of this work were, on the one hand, to document the architectural and historical fabric of the property Herdergasse 3 and to classify this in art historical terms and, on the other hand, to throw light more precisely on the time period during which Louis Bonaparte, Napoleon 1?s brother and a former king of Holland, was the owner of this house.To begin with, reference is made to the development of the Graz suburbs in the east, in particular of the Geidorf district, and the question broached as to whether the Herdergasse 3 house was erected as a so-called "Gülthof". This notion was substantiated, not only by the renaissance character of the house?s architectural and historical fabric, but also by its appearance as a mansion that is typical of this time. Amongst other things that also provide support for the chronological assignment is the corner bay which is placed assymetrically in the north eastern corner.The house gained special significance as a result of its purchase in 1811 by Louis Bonaparte following his abdication from the throne of Holland. This purchase could be confirmed by entries in the land register. The life and personality of Louis Bonaparte were thoroughly covered, among other reasons to cast light on the reasons motivating his exile in Graz and to follow up the effects of his residence in Graz. Louis Bonaparte?s Graz exile lasted barely three years however and in 1814 he sold the house and the estate to his brother, Jerome Bonaparte. A few months later the property was resold to an Austrian woman. The subsequent ownership history of the villa, the uses to which it was put by its owners, including its present use and the question of the preservation of this historically valuable building associated with the latter, are discussed in detail. A presentation of the essential art historical architectonical details completes the picture of the ?Napoleon Villa? in Graz.